Thursday, February 9, 2012

Update on Zoey the Dog

From Philip: "I'm not living the life I thought I would lead, but it does have meaning, purpose. There is love... there is joy... there is laughter."
― Christopher Reeve
I have been given the chance to right a "success story" about my little girl Zoey. Why not start off with a quote from one of the strongest,bravest and inspiring disabled man I knew of in my lifetime. Christopher Reeve showed the world how to live,love and laugh in the face of having a paralyzed body.Through his strength,he touched the lives of others around him.My story is the same as so many others on this wonderful site,but somehow my Zoey touched and changed my life in a way I never expected.To see this little 12 pound doxie fight back from the moment of her injury is a miracale to behold.She was never scared,I was.She knew when she was in pain ,I didn't.She knew when to start taking her first steps,I wasn't shure.For three years every day when I would come home from work she was there at the front door,whipping her tail back and forth in excitiment.She would then turn and run to her toy bin,shove her nose deep into the bottom and pull out her favorite toy and bring it to me.Yes,true unconditional love.Now it was my turn.I had to be strong for her.I could not let her incredable hound senses get a hold of my fears.Like many others I was lost when it came to a "downed dog".Little did I realize, so were many veterinarians.Yes,one vet actually said he wasn't to knowledgeable in paralyzed dogs! So after our emergency room visit,home we went with our medicines for pain,swelling and stomach protection, to give "crate rest" a try.Or as the e.r. attendent said,a last resort!!Well that night it was straight to the computer to find out all I could on "downed wieners" The first site that came up was Dodgerslist and that would be the only site anyone would need.The information on dodgerslist is unblievable.The forum site is all about interacting with moderators and members who are going through the same situation as you are.The best part is they are there for you 24 hours a day 7 days a week!. They have seen and heard all the stories from the members and can give the best advice available at the time. For me,they gave me the strength I needed to guide Zoey through her crate rest and recovery program of 8 weeks.The healing process is very slow but it comes,and when it comes each little step is it's own little miracle.In Zoeys case it was after 1 week ,urination came back after never losing deep pain sensation.Week 2 was tail wagging more and more.Week 3 was back legs starting to pump along when it was bathroom time in her sling for support.Week 4,5 and 6 was the back legs getting stronger and the feet starting to turn and point forward.As we come up to the 8th week,she has gotten much stronger in the rear and can take steps pretty good on her own now as we "introduce her" back into more of her old life style.Yes,she looks around at all the strange new ramps and mats on the floor and wonders what is it all for.Now,I know what I am doing,I guide her around in my world and together we are both ready for what the future brings and together we are both experiencing "love","joy" and "laughter".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a BEAUTIFUL MIRACULOUS story, God Bless and keep you going strong, Zoey! God Bless you, Philip for the loving strength you are to your precious Zoey.

Anonymous said...

God Bless you Philip, and please give Zoey a sweet doxie hug for me.
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us here at Esther's most precious site.
This is wonderful news of Zoey, and please know my many prayers continue for both Zoey and you!!
Your sharing your 'journey' with Zoey also shares hope to many others and sometimes when the path is dark it's that one bright candle, that one bright star, just like your Zoey, who shows us the way.
And special thanks to all our precious Saints and angels for their intercession and help to Zoey.
Hugs to you and many kisses and hugs to your Zoey!
Prayers continue, too!