Thursday, February 12, 2009

Millions of Animals Killed in Australia Fire

Kangaroo corpses lay scattered by the roadsides while wombats that survived the wildfire's onslaught emerged from their underground burrows to find blackened earth and nothing to eat.
Advertisement

Wildlife rescue officials today worked frantically to help the animals that made it through Australia's worst-ever wildfires but they said millions of animals likely perished in the inferno.


Article

Thanks to Kirk for telling us about this latest report.

Please continue to pray for the people and animals in Australia.

2 comments:

Marie said...

It is terribly sad and I know people were not given much time but I am a little upset at pet owners who ran out and left their dogs tied up in their backyards..they burnt to death!

They have caught one person for these crimes against humanity I hope they throw the book at the person and he serves 100 years! People lost lives...and harsher sentences need to be handed down to these criminals.

Peace to you Esther:)

Marie xooxoxoox PS: Approx about $70 million has been donated to the bushfire appeal, hopefully some of that will go towards wild life:)

EC Gefroh said...

Marie, that is terrible!

It did just bring back a memory I had though. When we were young, our home caught fire because of the burning house next door. Our pet turtle was in the upstairs bathroom. Being the older sister, I commanded my younger sister to go rescue our turtle. In retrospect, I was putting my little sister's life in danger.

I am glad so much has been donated but the money will never make up for the many lives lost. I still can't believe the extent of the devastation.